Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Iran Ready to Fill Power Vacuum in Iraq

Fox News reports that President Ahmadinejad Says Iran Ready to Fill Power Vacuum in Iraq.

Last night one of my old SF buddies from Tampa paid me a visit while I was pulling "Shock Doc" duty at Baptist Labor and Delivery. He's one of the most talented and intelligent guys I know, and has a great handle on foreign affairs - especially on the Middle East. In fact, I think he's knows more about the people, the culture, and the politics than Paul Bremmer. He was in Iraq for DS1 before hostilities officially began, and then again before OIF kicked off - when there were supposedly no US troops in Iraq.

We talked about almost everything - women, religion, commerce and trade, business, healthcare, politics, life, the future, CAG/SMU (Delta), and the intelligence community. Eventually, our conversation drifted to Iraq and what we believed to be prudent and correct military policy for the area. Unfortunately Congress disagrees, and I fear, will soon and rapidly fill Iraq with our absence. My friend's opinion was that Iran will immediately claim Eastern Iraq, Turkey will overrun Northern Iraq (as they've already tried to do on several occasions), and Saudi Arabians will slowly infiltrate the south.

I found it very interesting to see this article on Fox News this morning. He may be right on target. So much for the oil. (I really don't believe we'll leave the oilfields without some form of surveillence and defense - especially after spending all of that money to get Halliburton/KBR to lay pipeline from Kirkuk to Israel - though I understand they're having a little problem at the Jordanian border).